Friday, November 17, 2006

Horrible experience with a cook at home.

Keeping a cook at home. First thought of this idea came up to my mind is creating a 'problem' at home.
Sometime back myself and my husband thought we will keep a cook at home for the following purposes:

1. To prepare the food ready by the time we two reach home and can have some quality time with the kids.
2. To go for a relaxed walk with out any house hold chore confusions.

I asked our house maid to arrange for a cook and one fine rainy day, she brought one middle aged woman and to look from outside she was healthy and clean. My husband always give value to health and cleanliness and he said, let us say OK to this cook and asked whether she knows to cook. She said she knows everything. I opened my common sense and told, you may know to cook, but you may not know to cook for our taste. So she should be learning for few days from me. She also accepted the same, and the cooking process by her went on well with a few initial hiccups and she started to do chappathis, subjis, sambar etc.... After a few days, she did not turn up and when we called her, she said, the salary should be atleast Rs.50 per day. I became worried and furious, but my husband said, let her come and let us pay Rs.1500 pm.
She again started all over. Till......

1) Everything went on well till i asked her to make one extra curry or asked her to cut some vegetables for the next day.
2) My husband's intervention in telling the menu's like the ones which she doesnot know to make either or it is not possible to make with in her time limits. [She will never work beyond 1 hour ..that is between 7pm to 8pm]

She started to get irritated and she will not do perfectly.

What is a cook's job
1) Need to start cooking with the menu
2) Before starting to cook check for all the items which are bare minimum necessary for the item to be cooked
3) If not available, should ask the people around at home, and ask for an alternative menu
4) If available, if someone has given wrong measure of the cooking, should be able to asssess and cross check wither the one which was said was right(because once my husband asked to make little curd rice, to be eaten along with chappathi.....She kept 1.5 tumblers of rice with 100 ml of curd available in the fridge. She neither asked how much curd is available and whether 1.5 tumblers of rice is necessary to make at that night)

Basically, i thought that cook is a fool and no brains. She never communicated with us properly. Always grumbling to go home within 1 hour and no taste also. Always partial cooked subjis. Oily currys. Yak!!!!!!!

At last I stopped her for 2 reasons:

1) I can never change my husband's mind set up, who will ask for unreasonable, incompetent menu at odd times. And he even interferes whenever i try to convey some thing to her with a new menu. Therefore who ever the cook, they cannot co-operate at our home, as there are 2 minds in the backend of the menu which will never work out.
2) She was poor in communicating and did not wanted to improve and she never wanted to become a customized cook for us.

hmmmm.......finally I am back in the journey of cooking at my kitchen.............................

No comments: